Translate

Monday, November 28, 2016

Post-Election Poem by E.A. Nelson

By the way, did I shout at you on the phone last night?
A Poem for November 9, 2016
by E.A.Nelson

When the telephone rang, midway through
that held-breath, teeth-grinding evening,
I jumped up, stiff, to answer, said hello,
and heard a pause, my name?,
a pause, my name? again,
another pause, my name?,
and into each pause, with mounting vehement despair,
I hurled assurance that yes, that was my name,
demands to know who might this be, calling so late
to ask if I was I, and say no more. Only after the last pause
when I swallowed a last demand and held my breath
for a beat and let the receiver drop,
only after I was hunched again in front of images
of flickering numbers, stunned and flickering faces,
only then did I remember the frailty of the webs
that bind us, began to realize that the caller I had heard repeating
my name? so clearly might have heard no word of mine,
began to hope that this was so – that my shouts had battered not
some soul too stunned to speak more than that single word,
but only deaf, impervious ether. All next day,
in gatherings with friends here, family there, in the midst
of all there was to say, I kept repeating
the story of that phone call, waiting for someone
to say, That was me, I called you,
what happened? No one did.

Unknown caller, if someday
you read this, let these lines be my apology.
I grieve the conversation that we could not have
that night, grieve more that fear and frustration raised
my voice to a pitch I hope you never heard. There had been,
God knows, enough shouting on the way
to that night; no more was needed then,
nor needed now. If you should call
my number again, and hear, again,
once you have spoken my name?, only a silence,
know that this time I am not shouting.
I am welcoming you, thanking you for your call,
inviting you to say all that you have to say.
Yes, that is my name. Tell me who are. Tell me
what you want me to know, talk as long
as you like, and even if you never hear
me answer, I will be there. I will listen.



Copyright 2016 by the author, who may be reached at EANelson415@gmail.com. Reprinted by permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment